Skip to content

Disabled person’s bus pass

Disabled person’s bus pass

Portsmouth City Council are offering eligible people, aged 5 years and above*,  a concessionary bus pass to encourage independent living, provide free transport to help reduce social isolation and encourage the use of sustainable transport. On 28 April a 6 month trial of free disabled travel was launched. This has now been extended until March 2020.

You can apply for a disabled person’s bus pass at the Civic offices, Guildhall Square, Portsmouth. If you cannot get to the civic offices yourself , a representative can do this for you but you must  provide signed authorisation via a written letter with your full  name and address on. 

You will need proof that you live in Portsmouth (such as a council tax bill, housing benefit, rent book, electoral registration or utility bill), and a passport-quality colour photograph. You will also need to bring proof of disability, such as:

  • Attendance allowance
  • Disability Living Allowance with a mobility component
  • Personal Independence Payment (PIP) where the applicant has been awarded at least 8 points or more for the PIP “Moving Around” and “Communicating Verbally” activities
  • award letter for guaranteed income payment for tariff levels 1-8 under the 2005 Armed Forces Compensation Scheme
  • War Pensioner’s Mobility Supplement (WPMS) under the War Pensions Scheme (WPS)
  • letter from the DVLA giving notice of long term refusal or withdrawal of driving license on medical grounds, (misuse of alcohol or drugs are not included under this scheme)
  • a mental health healthcare professional’s standard NHS exclusion letter containing their contact details
  • blue badge
  • registration with social care (yellow card)

If you think you are eligible, but don’t have any of the documents, please contact the service to discuss this.


  • are blind or partially sighted, profoundly or severely deaf, without speech
  • have a disability, or have suffered an injury, which has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on your ability to walk
  • have long term loss of the use of both arms or do not have arms
  • have a learning disability – a state of arrested or incomplete development of mind which includes significant impairment of intelligence and social functioning
  • would have an application to drive a motor vehicle refused due to your disability
  • a member or veteran of the Armed Services who has been seriously injured in service.

Using the bus pass

These passes can be used on local buses anywhere in England in accordance with the local authority’s scheme. The Portsmouth scheme provides free travel all day, every day, from and within Portsmouth.
The pass can be used anywhere in England, however it is important to check the restrictions for the local authority’s scheme as they differ. The bus pass does not cover travel in Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland.

Contact details

For more information you can contact us by:
Telephone: 023 9268 8599
Concessionary Fares
Portsmouth City Council
Civic Offices
Guildhall Square

In person at the Civic Offices

For more information on the disabled person’s bus pass click here

* Children under 5 travel free on buses.


Other useful related links

Home to School Transport Information

Print this page

Get in touch - tell us what you think

Contact the Portsmouth Send Local Offer to gain help, get more information or to leave feedback about the website.

Get in touch