Coronavirus Government Guidance
This page has been created to keep you updated with the latest documents and advice sent from central government. This information is changing quickly so please keep checking back for the latest updates.
On the 11th May 2020 Ministers announced that schools should prepare to begin to open for more pupils from 1 June. More information will be published as things progress over the coming weeks. We would like to provide reassurance that we are working together and Portsmouth City Local Authority and headteachers all agree that the physical safety and emotional wellbeing of pupils (and staff) is paramount. You can read the latest government guidance below. Updated 13/05/2020
The Government took the decision that all schools would be closed from the end of Friday 20 March. They will remain closed until further notice, except for some vulnerable children and children of parents or carers who are critical workers and who absolutely need to send their child to school. This is a key part of the Government’s measures to reduce the spread of Corona Virus (Covid-19).
Central Government has issued guide on school closures including information on vulnerable children. Click here to read the guidance. UPDATED 07/04/2020
An open letter to children and young people with SEND, their Families and others who support them from Vicky Ford, PUSS for Children and Families.
Government Guidance : Actions for education and childcare settings to prepare for wider opening from 1 June 2020
- Special schools, special post-16 institutions and hospital schools will work towards a phased return of more children and young people without a focus on specific year groups. Click here to read the guidance.
- Click here to read the government guidance on protective measures and using PPE in education settings.
Government Guidance on Help children with SEND continue their education during coronavirus (COVID-19)
- Advice for parents and carers looking after children with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND). Click here to read the guidance
Government COVID-19: guidance on supporting children and young people’s mental health and wellbeing
- Advice for parents and carers on looking after the mental health and wellbeing of children or young people during the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak.. Click here to read the guidance
Press release – Extra support for schools and parents to help cope with coronavirus
- The Government has announced a package of support, including additional funding and high-quality resources, to help schools deal with the challenges posed by coronavirus. For further information click here.
Government Guidance on Free School meals ( for schools).
- This guidance will help schools and local authorities to continue providing free school meals to eligible pupils where:
- the pupil has to stay at home because they and/or
- wider family members are displaying coronavirus (COVID-19) related symptoms the school is only open for certain groups or is closed temporarily.
Government Guidance on Vulnerable Children and Young People.
- The government has realised new guidance on vulnerable children and young people. This includes information on those who have education health and care plans ( EHCPs).
You can read the whole document by clicking here.
COVID-19: guidance on social distancing and for vulnerable people
- Guidance on social distancing for everyone in the UK, including children, and protecting older people and vulnerable people. This includes easy read versions and a selection of guides in different languages.
COVID-19: guidance for households with possible coronavirus infection
- Stay at home guidance for households with possible coronavirus (COVID-19) infection.