Skip to content

Share this page

Share this article on Facebook Tweet this article on Twitter Share this article on Linkedin

Support at Home

As young people grow up the hope is that they will become as independent as possible. This includes being able to take care of themselves both at home and in the community, make decisions about their lives and keep themselves safe.

Sometimes young people with additional needs and disabilities need a helping hand at home to be able to complete daily living tasks.

Social Care Support for Young People in Portsmouth

In Portsmouth there are a number of different services who can support young people to be independent at home.

Most support with independent living will be through Adult Social Care services.

To find out more about Adult social care and available support in Portsmouth click on the following link.

Adult social care – Portsmouth City Council

If you are looking to find housing options for young people who are 18-25 and considering whether they are suitable for supported living you can click on the link below to see the available options.

Image of a male carer doing ironing

Post-18 Care at Home and Independent Living Support FAQs

How do I apply for supported living for my young person?

You will need to contact Adult Social Care and ask about having an assessment for your young person if they have not had one already.

If you already have a social worker speak to them directly and they will advise you on the next steps.

Adult Social Care Helpdesk on 023 9268 0810.

What is a social care assessment and how do we request one?

What is a Social Care Assessment?

You may also hear this called a Care Act Assessment, or in the past a Community Care Assessment.

You will be asked about your abilities and strengths, what it is you want to achieve and what help you might need to do this.

The social care assessment will cover nutrition, personal hygiene and getting dressed, your home, keeping in touch with family and friends, going out, training and work.

Another assessment you may hear about is a Carer’s assessment. If you have family or friends that help you they can be offered a carer’s assessment. A carer’s assessment focuses on:

  • The care and support that they provide and how this can impact on their life
  • Their goals and what support is available to help them achieve these
  • What support is available in the local community and how to access this support

To request a social care assessment please call the Adult Social Care Helpdesk on 023 9268 0810.

How can I find a Personal Assistant to help my young person in their home and community?

In Portsmouth we have a specially created PA noticeboard where lots of local PA’s can advertise their services and availability.

To see visit the PA notice board click on the link below.

Home – Portsmouth Personal Assistant Jobs Noticeboard (

You can also visit the Hive directory


What are direct payments and who is eligible for one?

Social Care direct payments are payments given to you by the council to pay for your social care support directly, giving you choice and control over who and how your needs are met.

In order to be eligible for direct payments for social care you need to meet the eligibility criteria set out in The Care Act 2014.

A direct payment may also be provided for health services in a personal health budget. Further information about Personal Health Budgets is available at this website: What is a personal health budget? – NHS (

Other helpful links and services to help with support at home

NDTI Preparing for Adulthood – Independent Living – Preparing for Adulthood: Independent Living – NDTi

CONTACT – Independent Living and Housing – Independent living & housing | Contact

Get in touch - tell us what you think

Contact the Portsmouth Send Local Offer to gain help, get more information or to leave feedback about the website.

Get in touch