Skip to content

Share this page

Share this article on Facebook Tweet this article on Twitter Share this article on Linkedin

Close up photo of the body of a young person holding books and wearing a rucksack.

Post-16 education settings – full and part-time study in and around Portsmouth

Your Options post 16 will depend on the level of support you require. For young people with an EHCP or for those with complex needs, there are some alternative options.

Below are the main-stream providers of post-16 education in and around Portsmouth.

Studying at College

The benefit of college is that there are lots of options to study for courses on subjects that interest you. They offer a range of academic and vocational (related to work) courses that help young people towards independence and finding a job.

All colleges have to provide help to students with SEND. Some offer courses specifically for young people with SEND.

The main providers in Portsmouth are:

You can find out more about HSDC’s Academic and Learning support.

Find out more about how COPC supports students with special needs and disabilities and their SEN offer

City of Portsmouth College have produced two videos all about the day in the life of students with SEND on both the Highbury and Sixth form campuses.


Courses available at HSDC and COPC

For detailed information on all the courses available at HSDC and COPC, please download the What Next? Education and Opportunities Guide Post 16

Colleges you might be interested in attending just outside of Portsmouth

Information on their SEND support can be found on their student support page


They offer a School of Personalised Learning to support students with SEND.

Post-16 Education - How to apply

How to apply for a place at college?

All the colleges will have detailed information on their websites. You can also use the What Next? guide to help you. The front cover of the What Next? Guide. Education and employment opportunities post -16

Requesting a post-16 setting when you have an Education Health and Care Plan

A young person with an EHCP may stay in education until the age of 25.  This means the EHC plan may stay in place if the young person are in further education, a supported internship, or if they are on an apprenticeship and continue to need a high level of support to access their programme of study and progress.

If you have an Education Health and Care Plan the Local Authority have to send you an amended plan naming your new post-16 education provider by the 31st March in the year you are due to start.  This means that you will find if you have a place on your post-16 course sooner than the majority of young people without EHCPs.

In the Autumn term (sometimes sooner) your school will hold a transfer review. A meeting will be held and everyone will talk about your move to the next stage of your education. You will also get the chance to tell the Local Authority which post-16 setting you’d like to go to and what course you have applied for.

If you are not sure you can ask for some careers support before your meeting to help you decide.

We have a specialist careers advice service in Portsmouth. 

You can also visit

National Careers Service – Options for Young People with an EHCP Guidance

Get in touch - tell us what you think

Contact the Portsmouth Send Local Offer to gain help, get more information or to leave feedback about the website.

Get in touch