Skip to content

Share this page

Share this article on Facebook Tweet this article on Twitter Share this article on Linkedin

Financial Support for those with SEND

If your child has Special Educational Needs(SEND) and/or a disability you may be entitled to some extra financial support.  Some sources of support are only available to those with SEND.

Disability Living Allowance

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) is provided by the government to help with the additional costs faced by disabled children. It is one of the main source of financial support.

Your child may qualify for DLA if they have a physical disability and/or SEN, and require more help or supervision, than other children of the same age.

For children over the age of 16, DLA has been replaced by Personal Independence Payment (PIP).

There are two parts to DLA – Care and Mobility.

Usually, you can claim for the care component when your child is aged three months and for the mobility component when they are three years old, although in some circumstances you can claim earlier.

When completing your application, it is important to include as much detail as possible to ensure you receive the right amount.
Current Weekly DLA amounts are ( December 2019):
Care component: Lowest: £22.00 – Middle: £55.65 – Highest: £83.10
Mobilty component: Lower: £22.00 – Higher: £58.00

For more information and to find out how to apply, click here:

The charity Cerebra have created a video to help parent carers apply for DLA which you can watch below.

Disabled child element of Child Tax Credit

If you are already claiming DLA for your child, you may also be able to claim the disabled child element of Child Tax Credit.

This is made up of 2 parts:
The disabled child element (£3,355 per year) – for each child in the family claiming DLA or who is registered blind;

The severely disabled child element (an additional £1,360 per year) – for each child in the family claiming the highest rate care part of DLA.

Click here for further information about claiming Child Tax Credit.

Carers Allowance

If your child is on the care component of Disability Living Allowance at the middle or highest rate you might be able to get Carers Allowance.  It is one of the main benefits for carers.

Carers allowance is not means tested so it doesn’t matter what savings you have but you can only get carers allowance if your earnings after deductions are no more than £123 per week.

Click here for more information on carers allowance. 

The Family Fund

Family Fund is the UK’s largest charity providing grants for families raising disabled or seriously ill children and young people. Their mission is to provide items and services to all low-income families in the UK raising disabled or seriously ill children, that they could not otherwise afford or access, and that help improve their quality of life, realise their rights, and remove some of the barriers they face.

Click here to find out more

Disabled Facilities Grant

You could get a grant from the council if you’re disabled and need to make changes to your home, for example to: widen doors and install ramps, improve access to rooms and facilities – eg stairlifts or a downstairs bathroom, provide a heating system suitable for your needs and adapt heating or lighting controls to make them easier to use.

Click here to find out more

Related Documents and Links

Visit the Information Hub to find services and support relating to financial help and SEND funding.

External links

Contact – A guide to benefits and financial support

Turn2us Financial support calculator and advice

Portsmouth SENDIASS

An impartial service providing information, advice and guidance on SEND.

Click here to visit SENDIASS

Portsmouth SEN Team

The Special Educational Needs Team at portsmouth city council are responsible for EHCPs.

Portsmouth SEN Team info
PPV Logo

Portsmouth Parent Voice

Helping parent carers of young people aged 0-25 with additional needs and disabilities to shape and improve local services

Click here to visit Portsmouth Parent Voice

Get in touch - tell us what you think

Contact the Portsmouth Send Local Offer to gain help, get more information or to leave feedback about the website.

Get in touch