Skip to content

Share this page

Share this article on Facebook Tweet this article on Twitter Share this article on Linkedin

Financial Support for those with SEND

If your child has Special Educational Needs(SEND) and/or a disability you may be entitled to some extra financial support.  Some sources of support are only available to those with SEND.

Disability Living Allowance

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) is provided by the government to help with the additional costs faced by disabled children. It is one of the main source of financial support.

Your child may qualify for DLA if they have a physical disability and/or SEN, and require more help or supervision, than other children of the same age.

For children over the age of 16, DLA has been replaced by Personal Independence Payment (PIP).

There are two parts to DLA – Care and Mobility.

Usually, you can claim for the care component when your child is aged three months and for the mobility component when they are three years old, although in some circumstances you can claim earlier.

When completing your application, it is important to include as much detail as possible to ensure you receive the right amount.

Some two-year-olds can get free childcare and education. This includes two-year-olds who are in receipt of disability living allowance. It also includes families on some income-based benefits, including working families on low incomes. Click here to find out more.

For more information and to find out how to apply, click here:

The charity Cerebra have created a video to help parent carers apply for DLA which you can watch below.

Disabled child element of Child Tax Credit

If you are already claiming DLA for your child, you may also be able to claim the disabled child element of Child Tax Credit.

This is made up of 2 parts:
The disabled child element  – for each child in the family claiming DLA or who is registered blind;

The severely disabled child element – for each child in the family claiming the highest rate care part of DLA.

Click here for further information about claiming Child Tax Credit.

Carers Allowance

If your child is on the care component of Disability Living Allowance at the middle or highest rate you might be able to get Carers Allowance.  It is one of the main benefits for carers.

Carers allowance is not means tested so it doesn’t matter what savings you have but you can only get carers allowance if your earnings after deductions are no more than £123 per week.

Click here for more information on carers allowance. 

Tax-free childcare

Tax Free Childcare is a government scheme to support working parents with childcare costs.

With tax-free childcare, you set up an account on the Childcare Choices website and for every £8 you pay in, the government will pay in an extra £2 (so the government pay you back the tax on your earnings). With this scheme you can get up to £4,000 for a disabled child towards your childcare costs.

30 hours free childcare

For working families with children aged three and four, or you’re unable to work because you are disabled or have caring responsibilities, you could still be eligible.

You can also use the childcare calculator to find out what help you could be entitled to and to help you decide what options suit your family best.

The Family Fund

Family Fund is the UK’s largest charity providing grants for families raising disabled or seriously ill children and young people. Their mission is to provide items and services to all low-income families in the UK raising disabled or seriously ill children, that they could not otherwise afford or access, and that help improve their quality of life, realise their rights, and remove some of the barriers they face.

Click here to find out more

Disabled Facilities Grant

You could get a grant from the council if you’re disabled and need to make changes to your home, for example to: widen doors and install ramps, improve access to rooms and facilities – eg stairlifts or a downstairs bathroom, provide a heating system suitable for your needs and adapt heating or lighting controls to make them easier to use.

Click here to find out more

Free Early Learning for 2 year olds

Some 2-year-olds are eligible for 570 hours of free childcare per year. That’s 15 hours of free childcare per week when taken term time only (i.e. over 38 weeks of the year), or you may choose to ‘stretch’ your hours by taking less hours over more weeks (e.g. 11 hours per week over 51 weeks).

Click here to find out more


Related Documents and Links

Visit the Information Hub to find services and support relating to financial help and SEND funding.

External links

Contact – A guide to benefits and financial support

Turn2us Financial support calculator and advice



Portsmouth SENDIASS

An impartial service providing information, advice and guidance on SEND.

Portsmouth SENDIASS

Portsmouth SEN Team

The Special Educational Needs Team at portsmouth city council are responsible for EHCPs.

Portsmouth SEN Team info
PPV Logo

Portsmouth Parent Voice

Helping parent carers of young people aged 0-25 with additional needs and disabilities to shape and improve local services

Portsmouth Parent Voice

Get in touch - tell us what you think

Contact the Portsmouth Send Local Offer to gain help, get more information or to leave feedback about the website.

Get in touch