Skip to content

Share this page

Share this article on Facebook Tweet this article on Twitter Share this article on Linkedin

Preparing for Adulthood – Making Decisions, Advice and Young People’s Rights


Getting  prepared for Adulthood should start from the earliest opportunity. This includes planning for any future education, training or employment.

In Portsmouth, if a young person has an education, health and care plan you may find this is discussed as early as year 6.

In Portsmouth City we offer a wide range of options for young people to think about when planning and moving ahead into their post-16 journeys.

This page has been designed to help you understand what is available and to help support planning your young person’s future .

To search for all related services in Portsmouth City go to our Information Hub. 

Post-16 Education Settings & Careers Support

Information and guidance on the different options for post-16 education and careers support.

Post-16 Education Setting and Careers Support

Transition - Moving to college or further education

Information and Guidance to help support young people as they move to a new school or college or make the first steps into adulthood.

Post-16 Transition

Going to university and Higher Education

Information on support for young people with SEND who are moving into Higher education and studying degree level courses.

University and Higher Education

Portsmouth College Supported Internships

Supported Internships are a structured study programme based primarily at an employer for young people aged 16-24 with an EHCP. Find out more...

Portsmouth College Supported Internships

Special post-16 settings and Colleges

Information on different post-16 settings when your child or young person is unable to attend a mainstream setting.

Special Post-16 settings and Colleges

Other post-16 learning and Training options

Information on the different options available if your young person does not want to continue in formal education.

Other post-16 learning and training options

Frequently asked questions

What are the different options available to my son or daughter once they leave school or college?

Your child can legally leave school at the end of the school year in which they turn 16 (normally the end of year 11). However, all young people must be in some kind of education or training until the age of 18. This can be combined with paid or voluntary work.

Staying on in Education

  • Going to a mainstream post-16 setting such as a college or sixth form
  • Attending a specialist college or special school sixth form.
  • Online and virtual learning education providers.


How do education settings support young people to get ready for and/or move into employment?

What is careers advice and how can my son/daughter access it?

What are the different types of qualifications a young person with SEND can do?

Get in touch - tell us what you think

Contact the Portsmouth Send Local Offer to gain help, get more information or to leave feedback about the website.

Get in touch