Skip to content

Share this page

Share this article on Facebook Tweet this article on Twitter Share this article on Linkedin

The front cover of the What Next? Guide. Education and employment opportunities post -16Learning, Education and Employment

Everyone up to the age of 18 has to do some kind of learning or education. Some people can even stay on at school or college until they are 25. You may choose to go to university when you have completed college or you may want to find a job.

The booklet here gives you lots of information about the different places you can learn in Portsmouth and some of the courses you could do. It tells you about the application process and about routes into work.

What next? Education and Employment Opportunities Post-16

Some young people with special educational needs might need extra support and need an Education Health and Care Plan. There is information on this here too in the below drop down box.

Close up photo of the body of a young person holding books and wearing a rucksack.

Post 16 education settings

Information on the different options for post-16 education in and around Portsmouth.

Post-16 Education
Closeup of a graduate facing away wearing a cap and gown with purple robes.

Going to university and Higher Education

Information and support for moving into Higher Education and studying degree level courses

Going to University and Higher Education
Female client consulting with a agent in the office

Finding a job- support for those with SEND

Information and guidance to help you find paid employment

Finding a Job
A student writing at a desk with a teacher leaning over her to help.

Supported internships and Apprenticeships

Information on post-16 study to prepare you for work

Supported Internships and Apprenticeships
A young man and a woman sat at a table with books

Careers advice and support

How to access careers advice and support

Careers advice and support
A graphic with coloured hands and the word volunteer in green.

Volunteering and Work Experience

Information on where to volunteer or find work experience in Portsmouth

Volunteering and Work Experience

Find out more

What is an Education Health and Care Plan?

An Education Health and Care Plan is also sometimes called an EHCP.

EHCP’s are for Children and young people aged 25 and under that need extra support, that cannot be met by support available in mainstream school or college.

An Education Health and Care Plan is a legal document that makes sure children and young people get all the help they need whilst they are in education ( but not when the go to university).

In Portsmouth there is a special team which looks after EHCP’s and does the EHCP assessments. They are called the SEN Team.

Specialist support for young people with a vision or hearing impairment

Portsmouth's Vision and Hearing Team

The Vision and Hearing Team in Portsmouth can provide links to specialist teachers who offer support, advice and guidance for children and young people in education settings in Portsmouth. You can find out more on their service page or you can contact them via


Links to support young people with a vision impairment

Get in touch - tell us what you think

Contact the Portsmouth Send Local Offer to gain help, get more information or to leave feedback about the website.

Get in touch