Skip to content

Share this page

Share this article on Facebook Tweet this article on Twitter Share this article on Linkedin

Health Services

Here in Portsmouth, the hospital, GPs, the council and our community health providers are all working together to provide the best possible healthcare for children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities. The majority of our work is delivered in community based settings and in hospital.

This section gives you information about health services for children and young people including specialist nursing, therapies (e.g. physiotherapy, speech and language therapy), Child and Adolescent Mental Health, Community dentistry and audiology and tells you how you can get help from them. Simply click on the relevant links.

If you are looking for Health services for a young person over 18 please click the link below.

Health Services in Adulthood

To search for all health related services in Portsmouth City go to our Information Hub. 

Speech and Language Therapy

The speech and language therapy team supports children with speech, language and communication needs and those with feeding and swallowing difficulties. Speaking and eating uses the same muscles and speech and language therapists are specially trained to help with specific difficulties with feeding and swallowing.

SALT Therapy Services

Child and Adolescent Mental Health

CAMHS stands for Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services which are specialist services that provide assessment, treatment and support to young people with emotional, behavioural and mental heath difficulties. Solent CAMHS covers our sites in Portsmouth and Southampton.

Solent Portsmouth CAMHS

Occupational Therapy (OT)

The occupational therapy team supports children with specific difficulties which affect their ability to plan and carry out the movements required for everyday tasks.

Occupational Therapy


The physiotherapy team supports children with specific developmental difficulties and/or conditions which affect their physical development. These difficulties may affect their ability to move or reach their physical potential.

Physiotherapy Service

Special Care Dental Service

Solent NHS Trust Special Care Dental Service provide specialised dental care for those who are unable to access dental care in the General Dental Service because of their special needs

Special Care Dental Service

Paediatric Continence Service

The Children's Continence Service sees children from the age of 2-19 with soiling, constipation, day wetting and night wetting. They also support children with additional needs with toileting support.

Paediatric Continence

Health Services Frequently asked questions

How does a child get a referral to the Children's Therapy Service?

The Children’s Therapy Service has an open referral system, which means they accept referrals from anyone including: Parents or carers, paediatricians, GPs, health visitors or other health care professionals, including audiologists, and pre-school or school staff.

As a parent, you can refer your child directly to the Children’s Therapy Service. If you would like to refer your child, please contact the service on 0300 300 2019. You can find out more and download the referral form from the Solent NHS Child and Therapy Services website. 

A member of the team will ask you a few questions to get some background information before advising you on what will happen next and what to expect at your first appointment.

To find out more  you can read the Children’s Therapy Services Referral Pack by clicking here.

Where can I find information on Health support when my child turns 18?

We have a dedicated page on the Local Offer website which has lots of information on Adult Health Services.

You can find it by clicking the link below.

Health Services in Adulthood

What do I do if I'm not happy with a health service?

At times you may not be happy with the service you receive. If you don’t feel comfortable discussing your concerns with your service provider directly, please contact the team manager or service leader.

Alternatively, you can contact the Trust’s Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) who will support you in raising your concerns.

Get in touch - tell us what you think

Contact the Portsmouth Send Local Offer to gain help, get more information or to leave feedback about the website.

Get in touch