Skip to content

Share this page

Share this article on Facebook Tweet this article on Twitter Share this article on Linkedin

Financial Support for Independent Living

This page tells you about all the different financial support for independent living, available to young people with SEND in Portsmouth. Use the drop down list below to find out about the different options.

Pink piggy bank next to a small china house and sitting on coins.

Financial Support for Independent Living

Universal Credit

Universal Credit

If you have a health condition or disability you might be eligible for extra universal credit.

Universal Credit is a means-tested benefit that has replaced 6 ‘legacy’ benefits:

  • Income-related ESA
  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)
  • Working Tax Credits and Child Tax Credits
  • Housing Benefit
  • Income Support.

With very few exceptions, no new claims can now be made for the 6 legacy benefits.

Check whether you are eligible for Universal Credit.

Please note: Claims for contribution based JSA and ESA (based on National Insurance contributions) can still be made.

Working Tax Credit

Working Tax Credit is a government benefit that helps those on lower incomes. You can only make a claim for Working Tax Credit if you already get Child Tax Credit. If you cannot apply for Working Tax Credit, you can apply for Universal Credit instead.

Personal Budget

A personal budget is made up of resources that can be used flexibly to support you with your education, health or care needs.

Personal Independence Payments (PIPs)

Personal Independence Payments (PIPs) can help you with extra costs if you have a long-term disability or illness.

Visit the NIDirect website for easy read guides on Personal Independent Payments.

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for children

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for children. You can only apply for a DLA if you are under the age of 16. If you are over the age of 16 you can apply for a PIP (see above).

Housing Benefit

Housing Benefit can help you pay your rent if you’re unemployed, on a low income or claiming benefits. It’s being replaced by Universal Credit and you can only make a new claim for Housing Benefit if you’re in supported, sheltered or temporary housing. You can find out more information about additional help with housing costs on the Government website.

Council Tax Reductions and Exemptions

Council Tax Reduction Benefit can still be claimed by those on low incomes or means tested benefits.

Some people do not have to pay Council Tax. You can find out more about Council Tax Exemptions on the Government website.

Disabled Facilities Grants

Disabled Facilities Grants are for people who are or could be, registered disabled. You can use this money to make adaptations to your home to help you live more independently.

If you have a disabled child (anyone under 16 years old) or a disabled young person who is under 19 and in full-time education living with you, you are also entitled to a grant.

Find out more at GOV.UK – Disabled Facilities Grants

How do I get one?

Call the Portsmouth City Council helpdesk on 023 9268 0810 to request an Occupational Therapy assessment of your needs.

You can also hire your own private occupational therapist to make recommendations for adaptations. We can consider this too, and the cost of their report could be paid for through the grant if you qualify.

After you contact us, an Occupational Therapist (OT) will assess your needs and decide what adaptations you might need. The property will then be assessed by a Housing Renewals Officer to make sure the adaptations can be carried out.

For further information on the application process, eligibility and terms and conditions of the grant please visit Disabled facilities grant – Portsmouth City Council

Get in touch - tell us what you think

Contact the Portsmouth Send Local Offer to gain help, get more information or to leave feedback about the website.

Get in touch