Skip to content

Share this page

Share this article on Facebook Tweet this article on Twitter Share this article on Linkedin

Financial Support for Education, Training and Employment

This page tells you about all the different financial support to help young people with SEND in Portsmouth access education training and employment. Use the drop down menu below to find out about the different funds available.

Photograph of blue piggy bank wearing a graduation cap next to piles of coins.

Financial Support for Education, Training and Employment

16 - 19 Bursary Fund

The 16-19 Bursary Fund is a Government bursary that can help you with educational costs such as travel, books, meals or clothing if you are studying at a school or college or on a training course (including unpaid work experience). If you have an EHC plan you may be eligible for the bursary if you are over the age of 19.

Employment Support Allowance (ESA)

Employment Support Allowance (ESA) is an allowance provided by the government which offers help if you have a disability or health condition that affects how much you can work. The ‘New Style’ ESA has replaced the ‘contribution-based’ ESA. You can find out more about whether you are eligible on the Government website.

Disabled Students Allowance (DSA)

Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA). It may be possible for people studying a further education course to get additional money to support their studies through the Disabled Students’ Allowance depending on circumstances.

Access to Work

Access to work, provides support and could include money, known as a grant, which you don’t have to pay back. It helps people who have a disability or long-term health condition to do their job.

Get in touch - tell us what you think

Contact the Portsmouth Send Local Offer to gain help, get more information or to leave feedback about the website.

Get in touch