Skip to content

Share this page

Share this article on Facebook Tweet this article on Twitter Share this article on Linkedin

Early Years Information and Advice

To find information on all Early years services and support offered in Portsmouth, you can navigate our SEND information hub here on the Local Offer website.

You will be able to save any information you find using the My List option. You will also be able to print out your list at the end of your Local Offer information journey.

The Early Years and Childcare Team

The Early Years and Childcare Team provide information and advice for parents, childcare professionals and those wanting to work with children.

They will be able to talk to you about the different services on offer to support you in the local area and help you to make any referrals.

Click here to find out more about the team and get contact details.

Portsmouth Family Information Service

The Family Information Service (FIS), shares information, advice and guidance for families with children from pre-birth to 19 and those working with families. Click here to access the Information Service.

Early Years Advisory Teachers

Provide advice and support to setting Inclusion Co-ordinators and SENCOs who are working with children with SEND. This includes delivering training and professional development.

Liaise with other professionals to ensure children with SEND are known and are receiving appropriate provision, including monthly attendance at the Early Years Panel.

Family Hubs

These used to be called Children’s Centres but we have expanded them to include help for children and young people up to 19 years so we now call them Family Hubs.

This is where the Early Help and Prevention team provide some of their help to families but it is also where our behaviour management surgeries and groups are delivered.

Click here to find out more about our Local Family Hubs.

Portsmouth Information Advice and Support Service

Portsmouth SEND Information Advice and Support Service is a service available to parents/carers of children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities between 0-25yrs and to young people aged 16-25 who have special educational needs and disabilities.

The support and advice they provide is impartial, confidential and free. Click here to find out more.

Portsmouth Parent Voice

If you would like to talk to somebody about your experiences as a parent carer of a child with SEND, you can contact the Parent Carer Forum.

Whilst they cannot support your individual case, they can share wider concerns and support you to have a voice on how services for disabled children are shaped and delivered locally.

Click here to find out more.

Early Years Information Advice and Support FAQs

What support can I expect for my child in an early years setting?

All childcare providers are required to offer an inclusive environment and to respond to individual children’s needs.

When visiting childcare providers it is important to ask how your child’s needs can be met and to work with the provider to ensure they fully understand any specific resources or equipment that your child will need.

Every early years provider should have a named SENCo or INCo (Special Educational Needs and Disabilities Coordinator) who is responsible for overseeing the inclusive environment and co-ordinating the SEND practice and provision.

They will have regard to the SEND Code of Practice and will support staff to meet each child’s needs where possible, building a positive partnership with parents.

If your child needs a higher level of support than the nursery can provide, you might want to talk to them about doing an Education Health and Care needs assessment.

What do I do if I'm not happy with my child's early years setting?

You should speak to the manager or headteacher in the first instance. Many issues can be resolved by discussing your concerns and agreeing a plan of action. You should also agree when this will be reviewed. If you are still not happy, or feel that they are not meeting their duties, you can consider taking the matter further.

If you would like some help you can contact Portsmouth IASS for further information and advice.

Where can I find information on funding to help pay my childcare costs?

All 3 to 4-year-olds in England, and some 2-year-olds, can get 15 hours per week (570 hours per year) of free early education or childcare. This starts from the term after the child turns 2 or 3.

Some 3 and 4-year-olds can get 30 hours of free childcare per week (1040 hours per year).

The Department for Work and Pensions have released a universal credit and childcare guide giving information on who can claim support with childcare costs and how much.

There is also a helpful early education funding FAQ document

For more information on Early Years money matters click here.

Related Documents and Links

Visit the document Hub to download forms and guidance on completing Early Years paperwork.

Useful Early Years links

Early Years Guide to the SEND Code of Practice

Equality act 2010 Guidance

Foundation Years: Supporting Children on the Autistic Spectrum


Portsmouth SENDIASS

An impartial service providing information, advice and guidance on SEND.

Portsmouth SENDIASS

Early Years and ChildcareTeam

The Early Years and Childcare team deal with all work relating to inclusive practice in early years settings.

Portsmouth EY and Childcare Team
PPV Logo

Portsmouth Parent Voice

Helping parent carers of young people aged 0-25 with additional needs and disabilities to shape and improve local services

Portsmouth Parent Voice

Get in touch - tell us what you think

Contact the Portsmouth Send Local Offer to gain help, get more information or to leave feedback about the website.

Get in touch