Skip to content

Share this page

Share this article on Facebook Tweet this article on Twitter Share this article on Linkedin // Share this article on Pinterest

Benefits and Support

Information about services, grants, funding and benefits you may be able to access to support your child/young person and for you as a parent /carer can be found in the links below.

Welfare and Financial Support during the Covid-19 Pandemic

Lots of people are needing extra help as we live through the covid-19 pandemic. If you are looking for support with finances or in need of food you can contact The Hive in Portsmouth click here for more information 

Portsmouth Foodbank are also available to support families with food and essentials. Click here for further details.

Contact (a family) have also created a SEND specific page to help families source financial and benefit support through the Covid-19 pandemic. Click here to find out more. 

The Government have produced official guidance on work and financial support during the covid-19 pandemic. Click here to read the official government guidance.

Information on Benefits, Grants and Support

Turn2Us Benefits Calculator - Benefits and Financial Help you may be entitled to

Contact ( For Families with Disabled Children) and Turn2us have a helpful benefits calculator that you can use to find out what you may be entitled to.

Click the link below to use see the calculator.

Portsmouth City Council, benefits and support information

Portsmouth City Council, benefits and support information

For further information please click here.

Access to Work Grant

An Access to Work grant can pay for practical support if you have a disability, health or mental health condition to help you: start working stay in work move into self-employment or start a business. The grant is not for business start-up costs. How much you get depends on your circumstances. The money doesn’t have to be paid back and will not affect your other benefits.

For further information please click here.

16 - 19 Bursary Fund

You could get a bursary to help with education-related costs if you’re aged 16 to 19 and: studying at school or college (not university) in England or on a training course, including unpaid work experience.

For further information please click here.


Blind Person's Allowance

Blind Person’s Allowance is an extra amount of tax-free allowance. It means you can earn more before you start paying Income Tax.

For further information please click here.

Carer's Alllowance

Carer’s Allowance is a means tested benefit for anyone: that spends at least 35 hours a week looking after someone with an illness or disability but is not paid to do so, and whose child gets Disability Living Allowance for personal care at the middle or high rate, and that is earning less than £100 per week after expenses such as income tax and national insurance contributions have been taken into account.

For further information please click here.

Disability Living Allowance (DLA)

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) is a tax free, social security benefit for children and young people up to 16 with an illness or disability. It is not dependent on your household income but only on your child’s needs. To get DLA, your child must need significantly more help or looking after than another child of the same age who doesn’t have any special needs.

For further information please click here.

Disabled Facilities Grants

You could get a grant from your council if you’re disabled and need to make changes to your home, for example to: widen doors and install ramps, improve access to rooms and facilities – eg stairlifts or a downstairs bathroom, provide a heating system suitable for your needs and adapt heating or lighting controls to make them easier to use.

For further information please click here.

Disabled Persons Railcard

The Disabled Persons Railcard is for people with a disability that makes travelling by train difficult.

For further information please click here.

Disabled Students Allowance (DSA)

As a higher education student living in England, you can apply for a Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA) if you have a disability, including a long-term health condition, mental health condition, specific learning difficulty.

For further information please click here.

Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)

If you’re ill or disabled, Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) offers you: financial support if you’re unable to work, personalised help so that you can work if you’re able to. You can apply for ESA if you’re employed, self-employed or unemployed.

For further information please click here.

Family Fund

Family Fund are the UK’s largest provider of grants to low-income families raising disabled and seriously ill children and young people. We help ease the additional pressures families face. We can help with essential items such as washing machines, fridges and clothing but can also consider grants for sensory toys, computers and much needed family breaks together.

For further information please click here.

Income Support

You may be able to get Income Support if you meet all the specific conditions including: you and your partner have no income or a low income, you’re working less than 16 hours a week and you haven’t signed on as unemployed. The actual amount you get depends on your circumstances, but if you qualify and have no income you’ll get at least £57.90 a week.

For further information please click here.

Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) helps with some of the extra costs caused by long-term ill-health or a disability if you’re aged 16 to 64

For further information please click here.

Get in touch - tell us what you think

Contact the Portsmouth Send Local Offer to gain help, get more information or to leave feedback about the website.

Get in touch